JOB TITLE: Street Maintenance Worker DATE: 09/27/2004
DEPARTMENT: Public Works PAY CODE: SM
The Street Maintenance Worker is responsible for performing a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, and maintenance of City streets and street drainage projects.
SUPERVISOR: Works under the direct supervision of the Street Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Performs a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, and maintenance of City sewer, street, and street drainage projects.
2) Inspects and/or repairs street drainage systems and sewer system at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
3) Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and back-filling.
4) Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in street, sewer, and street drainage construction and repair. Responds to complaints regarding leaks in pipes; evaluates situation; explains findings to supervisor.
5) Loads and unloads heavy objects.
6) Assists in maintaining and repairing traffic control devices.
7) Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards, and attends training sessions as required by department or City of Sherwood.
8) Regular and timely attendance required. Performs any other duties as required or assigned.
1) Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent; OR
2) Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
3) Knowledge of equipment operations; knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street\sewer maintenance and repair work;
4) Ability to understand and follow specific oral and written instructions; Ability to work under adverse climatic conditions; Ability to lift and carry heavy loads; Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with fellow employees and the general public.
1) Valid Arkansas Driver's License, or ability to obtain one.
2) Ability to and interest in obtaining Class 'B" CDL preferred, but not required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Operates motorized vehicles and equipment, including light automotive equipment, pick-up trucks, dump trucks, tamper saws, pumps, common hand and power tools, compressors, detection devices and ditch witch as required to perform assigned duties. Operates chainsaws, jackhammers and related equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.